Hospital Z is a 380 inpatient beds with 110 outpatient beds. It was established in 1920 and this Institution while private is not for profit. This institution has a strong national visibility . It is located in a leading European city but it is facing a major challenge to define its future. The current CEO has another 20 months to go before he is legally forced to step down (by law his mandate will expire in 2020) . The Hospital is facing a crisis which encompasses:
- lack of an inspirational medical and scientific vision for the upcoming years
- CEO and its executive team are more and more disconnected from the medical and research community
- no real forum to debate key strategic choices, decisions are top down and rarely discussed with department chairs and research heads
- relationship with the affiliated medical school is deteriorating
- the annual deficit is increasing every year (9 million in 2016, 24 million in 2017 for a global income of 550)
- the moral is low among many of the 6000 employees as they can sense that there is no clear strategic vision and multiple tensions at the top
- hospital is now loosing key opinion leaders to the competition
You are considering to apply for the position of CEO of this prestigious but now struggling Institution.
What are the key elements you should consider in advance to transform this hospital, if its board of directors appoints you as the new CEO in 20 months?