Medical Tourism has been identified at our organization as a potential new source of revenue.
We are currently in the process of devising a strategy to incorporate this new service in our hospitals.
Having identified some important variables related to this new activity (see below), we are worried that the integration of medical tourism might prove to be a disruptive element to our current operations and activities:
- Paradigm shift: from citizens with rights to healthcare services to patients becoming consumers of health care.
- Identification of multiple new stake holders (tourism agencies, marketing, visas, accreditation …)
- Patient´s perspective: interruption of traditional continuum of care, complications, privacy and confidentiality (signed informed consents …)
- New resources / circuits / operations required to support medical tourists.
- Could the introduction of medical tourism provide us with a source of a sustainable competitive advantage?
- Would our current set of activities support this new service?