XYZ medical center, 400 beds, 5 thousands employees from more than 90 countries/ nationalities. CEO who joined the center 2 years ago from a UK healthcare system. Significant changes and replacements to the senior leaders across the organization. All corporate surveys and observations indicated the following:
- Lots of talk about values but not enough action
- A lack of employee engagement.
- Interpersonal conflicts and what’s in it for me rather than the organization interest first.
- Lack of psychological safety: employees do not trust and feel safe enough to speak out about significant problems.
- Performance issues, mediocracy is the norm and a high level of absenteeism.
- Lack of accountability and transparency is just a word widely used.
- Staff are blamed for mistakes based who they are or know.
Senior management justifies the above as industry norm for a newly established medical center and it will get improved with time. The average time of service for senior leader in the organization is 3 years.
What will you do to heal this culture;
- If you join as CEO?
- If you join as Chief – Medical Officer, Operating Officer, Audit Executive, Human Resources, Legal Counsel?
- If you join as a board member?
Don’t just respond with I wont join 🙂