Due to the changes in reimbursement and decrease in physician revenues for the hospital, different medical centers specially academic centers where time of the faculty is divided between clinical practice, teaching and research, face new challenges.
So far they have dealt with it in two different ways:
- Reducing the physician compensation
- Increasing the clinical work hour
Both solutions will create unsatisfactory conditions defying the nature of an academic center:
- Unhappy physicians ready to leave the practice, loosing the expert force and settling with less experienced work force
- Reducing time dedicated to teaching
- Affecting negatively the research activities
Any thoughts or suggestions?