Tentrr – Your Private Camping Experience
The Problem: Public camp sites can often be noisy, overcrowded, run down and not incredibly clean.
The Solution: Tentrr is a marketplace that connects landowners with people who want to enjoy the great outdoors effortlessly, providing a fun and private camping experience for consumers while unlocking and monetizing millions of acres of beautiful land. Tentrr is a shared economy camping company that connects those looking for a fun camping experience with private landowners who share a portion of their land in order to facilitate an awesome camping experience.
Demand-side: The camp site rental market opportunity is a roughly $24 billion dollar industry. Camping is second to only bicycling as the most popular outdoor recreational activity and roughly 77 million Americans went camping in 2018. The average per night spend on camping varies between between $30 – $110. Most camp sites are owned and operated by the government.
Supply-side: There are roughly 9 million privately owned U.S. properties that are 10 acres or more. Tentrr works with these land owners and set’s up a private camp site on a small portion of their land. Tentrr charges on average $150 per night, of which they keep ~35% with the remaining 65% going to the land owner. This provides the land owner with a modest stream of positive ancillary income.
Marketing: Tentrr advertises for campsite acquisition through a variety of channels including: direct mail, regional print, radio, email, Facebook and referrals. The company advertises for camper acquisition through predominantly influencer marketing, digital media and affiliate co-marketing.
Scalability & Customer Wallet Share: Although Tentrr’s model may be slightly more difficult to scale due to the need to set up a camp site, the business does attract repeat users and has proven they can expand their customer wallet share by offering activities on the properties such as fishing and boating as well as selling camping accessories such as lamps and blankets.